Kindergartenat Holy Cross Lutheran School
Our School’s Mission & Vision
Christian Faith and Challenging Academics
The mission of Holy Cross Lutheran School is to provide a Christ-centered, nurturing ministry for children and their families, with an emphasis on academic excellence.
Holy Cross Lutheran School places an emphasis on academic excellence and teaching of the Christian faith. Our curriculum is challenging, yet flexible, and is designed to meet or exceed the standards set by the State of Indiana. Our teachers are dedicated to providing this excellence in an atmosphere of personal warmth and Christian love, recognizing the individuality of each child and nurturing a positive self-concept.
We offer two different kindergarten programs to meet the needs of individual students and their families. Our half-day kindergarten program meets Monday through Friday, from 8:45 AM until 1 PM. The full-day kindergarten program meets Monday through Friday from 8:45 am until 3:45 pm.
Holy Cross Lutheran School provides a fun, flexible, Christian atmosphere of teaching and learning experiences to enable children to:
- Develop a strong, positive self-worth as a valued child of God.
- Formulate social and emotional skills appropriate for home and school.
- Develop cognitive and motor skills appropriate for each child through the philosophy that a child’s work is his play.
- Initiate and Maintain spiritual growth through weekly Bible stories and daily intervention of activities with Jesus Christ as his Savior.
The kindergarten curriculum is carefully planned for the progressive development of each child and to promote continuity in the transition from preschool to elementary school. Students develop a positive self-image as they improve skills and learn to work both independently and with others. Classroom activities maintain a well-balanced variety of individual, small-group, and whole-group instruction.
The curriculum includes:
- Bible Stories and songs
- Worship experiences/Chapel
- Mission education
- Application to real life values
- Scott Foresman “Reading Street” Curriculum
- Quality children’s literature
- Emerging reader activities
- Skill-building activities in handwriting and journaling
- Accelerated Reader
- Read the Zoo (Indianapolis Star)
- Introduction to Spanish language and culture
- Experiential activities in numeral recognition and math concepts using a variety of manipulative materials
- Math Pentathlon games and Math Pentathlon Club
Science and Social Studies
- The Five Senses
- Human Body
- Solar System
- Native Americans
- Community and Multicultural Awareness
- US Geography
- Art activities, including the study of major artists and styles
- Music and Rhythmic movement
- Choir and Rhythm Instruments
- Physical Education
- Large and Fine Motor development
- Study Trip experiences