This is what we’ve been waiting for! Outreach Inc. has broken ground for their new Lawrence location. They are building a Satellite Center inside the existing Lawrence United Methodist Church and looking for people to get involved now!
Outreach Inc. seeks to equip and empower teenagers and young adults who are experiencing homelessness to achieve stability and life transformation. Outreach staff and volunteers build relationships with the youth they serve to accomplish this. At their program centers, youth can take showers, do laundry, eat, and use computers. Staff assist with transportation, social skills, medical appointments, and job interviews. They also work with high school students to obtain necessary documents for work, and provide educational assistance in applying for financial aid, scholarships and going on college visits.
Holy Cross is looking to partner with them on their mission to serve youth and young adults in the Lawrence community. Here is a list of ways for you to get involved now:
Small Group Opportunities (greatest need):
- Adopt a meal one Thurs per month – this could be as a church (and coordinate individuals and/or groups sign up) or a specific small group (min 2 max of about 5/6)
- These meals are funded at this point, so this looks like coming to set up, cook (or pick up dinner), serve, and clean up.
- Prepare for 20 people including staff/volunteers plus your group.
- They LOVE homemade meals (must be made on site/at an industrial kitchen)
- Timing: 4-7PM with dinner served at 5:30PM (so not all of the group needs to arrive by 4PM)
Ongoing Individual Opportunities:
- Drivers arrive by 3:45 to pick up youth from the area (likely high schools); drop off at homes. In between pick-up and drop-off, you’ll hang out with youth and join us for dinner. (Outreach does have vehicles to drive, but you may use your own vehicle).
- Shoppers help get groceries for groups cooking on Thursdays (likely shopping day would be Wednesday).
- Meal Coordinator/Kitchen Liaison– Assist Staff in managing groups that adopt meals (use/maintain Sign-up Genius, provide grocery list for shopper, ensure we have plates/supplies); would prefer someone who can also be on-site to host/welcome kitchen volunteers on Thurs and ensure kitchen/dining room is left cleaner than we found it (but we can make this a separate role if need be). Remote work plus Thurs 3:45-6:45.
- Community Outreach: Join staff driving around Lawrence to share flyers/info about satellite to relevant businesses/entities; 2-4PM on any of these dates: Wed Apr 26, Fri Apr 28, Wed May 3, or Fri May 5.
- Floor Installers & Furniture Assemblers: Help staff install floating floor Mon, May 8 from 9AM-5PM (finish Wed) and furniture assemblers 2nd week of May (likely May 11 or 12.)
- For those interested in driving, consistently providing meals, or fulfilling the role of Kitchen Host/Coordinator, Outreach will offer a tour and training at Outreach (2416 E New York) to get an understanding of Outreach and how to best engage with our youth and young adults on Thursday, May 11, from 5-7PM with dinner provided.
Thank you for your support of Outreach! To get involved, email Holy Cross Director of Outreach, Andrea Hauser at email@example.com.