42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Personal Reflection and Discussion
Many people love coffee, yet thousands who spout this claim roam this world as percolated posers. You purists know the type! It’s the people who carry around their same sleeved cylinders of love and affection, only to find it’s been filled with the faucet of sugar and cream, candy pieces and mints, syrups and whatever else they put in coffee these days. Why, there’s barely any coffee for it to be considered coffee. Did they even have to grind that poor bean!? Rant over. 😉
Same is true for many other products. Ice Cream is another product that has been hijacked. There are some ice creams companies out there that are prohibited to sell their product as “ice cream” because the lack of ingredients that truly make up this amazing delicacy. This is the reason you might see some products labeled as “frozen dairy products” and not find the words ‘ice cream’ on the box. )https://www.brandeating.com/2015/07/explaining-why-some-ice-cream-is-frozen-dairy-dessert.html) Satan used the same scheme for years. We are not immune from this strategy, either. Sometimes, lies closest to the truth are the most damaging lies of all!
The University of Texas A & M did a fantastic study, fact-checking Satan. Here are the results: http://faculty.cse.tamu.edu/davis/Precept/1Thess_files/words_of_satan.pdf
- How does the Greek word for hear (see definition below) provide understanding in this passage, especially when used in verse 43?
- How does John describe Satan or the devil?
- Do you believe Jesus is just a little too harsh in this passage? What is the wage of just one sin according to Romans 6:23? Was Jesus as harsh with those closest to him (Matthew 4:10)?
- What are your thoughts on this quote: “If you make sin seem small, the less valuable grace seems. If you make sin as big as it truly is, the reason people die, grace not only becomes more valuable, it becomes vital.”
- A train only blares its horn when there is something in the way of its fast-paced, narrow, and absolute direction, including even an intersection. The same could be said for Jesus’ tone of voice as He aims to appropriately communicate His message. Sometimes His voice is soothing and rhythmic, sometimes (when you are further away) you can hear the horn blaring, and sometimes it’s loud and annoying and seemingly cancels out all other noises. What do you think was Jesus’ tone of voice when communicating with this group of people? Why?
- “Satan’s greatest weapon is the lie. He is a master of half-truth.” Do you agree or disagree? Explain?
- What are the hardest truths of God to believe? What are the easiest or maybe your favorites?
Jesus, I believe one of Satan’s greatest tools is half-truth. Satan is a master of half-truth, which for all practical purposes is lying. In the Garden of Eden, he tempted Adam and Eve with half-truth. During Your 40 days in the wilderness, he tempted You with half-truths. Satan baits us with half-truth , giving us just enough of the truth to hook us, and then he puts his own special twist on it, turning it into a lie. This is one of the many reasons it is important to study and know Your Word and to be regularly reminded of it. It is through knowing Your Word that we come to know the whole truth, Your truth, and thus be able to recognize Satan’s half-truths for what they are — lies. Bring us to Your truth in all we say and do!
Greek Words of the Day
English Word: hear | Transliterated Word: akouo (ak-oo-o)
To hear – come (to the ears), listen, report, understand, word. By implication, to give heed to, to obey, give heed
English Word: words | Transliterated Word: rhema (hray-mah)
An utterance; by implication a matter or topic (especially of narration, command or dispute); with a negative naught whatever: – charge, what one says, prediction, saying, statement, thing, word. Teaching, precept, doctrine
Family Engagement Activity
Today, play the game “two truths and a lie” with a relative or close family friend. Let someone know that your family is going to call them today, and ask them to tell you three stories about something that happened to them, one will be a fib. Your family is to guess which story is the fib. Ask them to make the fib as believable as possible. You can also play this on zoom with three different people, having one of them lie. Then talk as a family about how Satan is the master liar.
Go through scriptures that reference Satan talking and see if you and your family can detect Satan’s lies. Use the chart in the link above to help you find these scriptures.
Going Activities To Consider
Today, make a chart with two columns. On one side, write down things said that could seem like a lie from Satan today, whether it be told to you or told to someone else (vocally, stories in a newspaper, etc). In the other column, write down what you think God would say to counter those lies.
Make a chart and list the different promises or objective things YOU have said. Take the day to fact check yourself. Are the words you are saying honest words? How are you at following through on your promises? Have you gotten stuck offering half truthers and broken promises? God wants us to be as He is, men and women of our word! Ask for forgiveness and a renewed fervor to speak truth!
When you hear Satan’s lies said to another person, be proactive in speaking Words of truth to the person dealing with this evil.